Christian Writing Now I’m Curious…

Zee

Mar 1, 2019
What’s the most controversial topic you’ve written about (in fiction?) How did readers react? Did you set out to be controversial?

And related—have you ever changed anything in a story simply because you realized early readers didn’t like it?

Reactions: HK1

Zee

Mar 1, 2019
I actually liked your death stories, @zx1ninja. Thought it was a unique idea, and well-told, for the most part. Did you expect them to be controversial?

Reactions: HK1
Jul 15, 2016
Well, I wrote a book that kind of reflected badly on the Mason's, but that's about it. I haven't changed anything in a story because of early reader not liking it, because I don't believe in beta readers. Sorry, I just don't.

May 8, 2022
I am sort of there now

I started a novel based in 1772 and is about a family where the oldest son is semi-murdered by his brother because he sticks up for the youngest sister. In the end of the book I was going to have it found out that the dead brother stuck up for the sister because he caught his younger brother hurting her

That is too much for me though. I got to find another reason why a father would agree to have his son legally executed besides that

Accord64

Write well, edit often.
Oct 8, 2012
What’s the most controversial topic you’ve written about (in fiction?) How did readers react? Did you set out to be controversial?
Not so much a topic, but choices. Two examples:

1. A Christian character in a science-fiction story aimed at the general reader market (meaning not in a Christian fiction genre). It isn't done in a preachy manner, and never overshadows the story, but once in a while I'll get a one-star review from someone upset that religion (that isn't handled in a critical light) is in the book.

2. Having characters use bad language. I don't write "Hollywood-level" F-bomb scenes, but if a situation arises when certain characters let a few expletives escape their lips, those words end up in the manuscript. Without exception, my harshest critics are my fellow Christians, who often leave savage one-star reviews over that very reason (and for a story that's not in a Christian genera). I honestly don't mind receiving a bad review, well, as much any author would ;) . However, I often cringe over how those reviews paint Christians when others read them.

And related—have you ever changed anything in a story simply because you realized early readers didn’t like it?

If my beta-readers consistently don't like something, then that's a red flag and I'll always be open to change. But if one dosen't like something while the others say nothing, then I'll have to think that one over more carefully. That's the challenge of writing.

Mar 6, 2017
I've written a fanfiction short story, based on the former TV Series Joan of Arcadia, titled "Power in the Word"; in which Joan is suspended from school for bringing a Bible to class. I think that would be considered controversial.
If anyone's interested, the story's a quick read, consisting of 2,660 words. It's posted on several writers websites, including writing.com, where it's received 3, four &1/2 star reviews.
Anyone reading it, who's also a member of that website, is welcome to leave a review there, or here on christianwriters.com also, along with anyone else who reads it.

Aug 10, 2013
I understand what you're trying to get to, but public schools don't suspend students for bringing a Bible to school. There seems to be a lot of misinformation about public schools.

Mar 6, 2017
I understand what you're trying to get to, but public schools don't suspend students for bringing a Bible to school. There seems to be a lot of misinformation about public schools.
Thank you for reading "Power in the Word", and leaving a thoughtful review. I originally wrote this story around ten years ago, as a warning about things that might happen.
Thank you again.

Recent Discussions