Christian Writing New hero/villain writing prompt!

Sarah Daffy

Spider-Woman
Feb 17, 2019
This one's for you, @carolinamtne. After getting out of the hospital, the hero and the villain are both trying to park their mopeds in the same parking place. A passing constable sees them and decides to chuck them in a jail cell before things get out of hand. 😎

Jul 15, 2016
All right, I'll be the first to post. I'm sorry I took so long and this story is so weird that I first I wasn't going to post it, but I figured that what the heck, I'll just got ahead and post it. Besides, somebody had to post something!

WARNING: this story is very weird and will probably leave you scratching your head!!

Robert London tried his best to shake the bars, but they were set in concrete and just wouldn’t move.

“I want out of this cell,” he shouted.

He waited, but there was no response.

“I said, I want out of this cell,” he shouted again, this time louder.

At first no one came in response to his call, but finally he saw a deputy walking towards their cell. He was a mammoth man, bald as a bowling ball with wide, expressive eyes, a large mobile mouth, and muscles packed on muscles. As he approached their cell, Robert backed up involuntarily.

“What’s all the commotion about?” he said in a deep, rumbling voice.

His arms hung at his sides, and he unconsciously flexed his fingers first and then proceeded to crack his knuckles.

“I can’t stay in this cell with him,” said Robert, and he bravely shoved his right index finger away from himself to point towards a diminutive man who sat with his head hung low.

The deputy studied the man for a man, before offering an opinion on him.

“He looks harmless enough,” he said.

“Well, he’s not,” said Robert.

Now the deputy studied the man with interest.

“Did he strike you? He looks kind of small. I’m just saying,” said the deputy.

At this, Robert looked indignant.

“He most certainly did not!”

“Well, what’s the problem?”

“Isn’t obvious?”

“No.’

Robert leaned into the bars again and motioned the deputy to come closer.

“He’s the villain,” he whispered, “and I’m the hero.”

The deputy appeared flabbergasted.

“No,” he said. “You’re the hero?”

Robert nodded gravely.

“Now,” whispered Robert, “you see why I can’t stay in the same cell with him.”

“No,” said the deputy.

Giving an exasperated sigh, Robert tried again.

“It will be bad for my image,” he whispered.

“But you’re both in jail for disturbing the peace,” said the deputy.

“A mere technicality,” said Robert. “I was trying to park my moped in a space when he tried to claim it as his own.”

“No,” said the deputy.

“Oh yes,” said Robert loudly. “I was merely defending my… my turf.”

The little man raised his head at that. He seemed a bit mousy, with brown hair and eyes, a pinched, perpetually grieved face and a rather skinny frame, but he spoke so loudly that he belied his tiny body.

“For the umpteenth time, that was MY parking space.”

“Oh,” said Robert. “I suppose you own it?”

Robert folded his arms in victory pose.

“As a matter of fact, I do.”

“Do not,” said Robert.

“I do so.”

“Nope.”

“Aargh,” declared the little man.

“Can’t hear you,” said Robert.

“You see what I put up with?” said the little man to the deputy. “You see? He just won’t listen!”

The deputy reached up and scratched his bald head.

“Well, the way I see things—”

“Yes,” said Robert, “I told you so.”

“You didn’t let him finish,” said the little man.

“There’s no need. He clearly agrees with me.”

“You know, for someone who’s supposed to be the hero, you sure do interrupt a lot.”

“As I was saying,” roared the deputy, “I believe him.”

And here, he pointed at the little man.

“What?” said Robert. “I can’t believe this.”

“Because the spot, if you’d bother to read, is clearly marked for the mayor.”

“But he’s not the mayor!” exploded Robert.

“Oh, yes, I am,” declared the little man emphatically.

“You are?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Oh,” said Robert.

“Sorry, your honor, that the night shift guys didn’t recognize you,” said the deputy.

The deputy took his keys off his belt, and said to Robert, “Stand back, while I let the mayor out.”

“What?” stammered Robert.

“You heard me. Now, move!”

A cowed Robert moved to one side to let the little man exit the cell. I the way out, he stopped and gave Robert a satisfied smirk.

“Loser,” the little man said before walking out with the deputy a free man.

Once he was past the cell gate, the deputy closed the door and locked it. Robert never felt so miserable in his entire life.

When they had left, Robert sat down at the edge of his cot and hung his head low. This was embarrassing. He had tried to put up a fight for the mayor’s moped place, and now look at him. What kind of a hero was he anyway? He was stuck in this one-horse Podunk town, locked away in their cell, while the other man was walking around free.

The deputy that had originally arrested them arrived balancing two meals and stopped in front of Robert’s cell.

“Breakfast is served,” he bawled. “Hey, where’s your partner?”

“Another deputy arrived and let him out about five minutes ago,” said Robert. “To think all this happened because I tried to park in the mayor’s parking place.”

“What on earth are you going on about. This other deputy that let your friend out, describe him.”

Robert did the best he could, and when he had the current deputy's face blanched. He dropped the plates and hurried toward the door.

“Hey, where are you going in such a hurry? I said that was sorry for I taking the mayor’s parking place. Can’t you let me out like the other deputy?”

The guard stopped and whirled around.

“Buddy, I don’t know who it was that let your cellmate out, but he wasn’t no deputy. We only got one other deputy in this town, and she’s a woman. Now I got to put out an all points bulletin on the other man, so just be quiet or I’ll give you more time for aiding and betting another criminal’s escape attempt.”

“Not a deputy,” said Robert. “Then on earth did he get the keys to the cell?”

“Oh, shoot! I left them on the board unattended while I went out and got your lunch! Anybody could have stepped in and taken them!”

Having said that, the real deputy high-tailed it out to call in an APB.

Pacing around his cell with his hands behind his back, Robert kept muttering, “I should have known, I should have known. There was no sign up declaring it was the mayor’s parking space! And besides, he probably wasn’t the mayor after all! Robert had been had by the villain!.

Still, he was locked up in a jail cell with his food outside and him unable to reach it. But at least Robert’s reputation as a hero was undiminished. What was his only crime? Disturbing the peace? Robert sighed and sat down again on the edge of his metal cot. The villain was set free, and here he was on this stupid all-metal bed, stuck until the deputy came back. Where did he go wrong? Hubris, he decided.

Which just goes to show Robert that in life, there are three kinds of men. The men who learn by reading, the ones that learn by observing, and those that just have to pee on the electric fence by themselves. Yep, guess which one Robert was.

Aug 10, 2013
I haven't finished this one yet, but I don't think I have posted the others. Let me check.

OK, I think I'm caught up now.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2013
I modified the prompt a little and put this at the beginning of my story, so it's the elevator at the police station that falls with them in it.

With no expression on my face to give me away, I sauntered out of the store. I had made sure that the contents of my backpack had no device that would trigger an alarm. My heart was pounding as I headed for my moped, my escape vehicle.

My foot hit the kickstand, and I mounted and rode away, slowly, so as not to attract attention. Just to be sure I was not followed, I wove my way in and out of traffic and made numerous turns, not in any specific pattern. By the time my gas gauge had dropped to less than half a tank, I headed for my apartment.

This apartment building had no parking garage. Everyone parked on the street, so other residents complained if my moped took up one of their car spaces. Some of them would even move my vehicle, putting it on the sidewalk or somewhere else. Once I found it three blocks away behind a dumpster.

Diagonal parking usually leaves a triangular area at one end. That is scooter sized, but there is only one per block that is safe to use. And I’m not the only moped rider in the building.
Just when I spotted the closest space, I saw another moped heading for that same spot. I speeded up, but so did he. And then … there we were, both trying to squeeze into that spot.

He was bigger than me, but I wasn’t about to lose what was rightfully mine. I told him, “I saw it first.”

Of course, that’s not something you can prove, because he denied my claim and parried that he saw it before I did. So there we were, arguing loudly about whose space it was.

I didn’t dare start something physical, because, as I said, he was bigger than me. But I yelled louder.

Which did not help, because my yelling attracted a nearby cop. He came over to see what the ruckus was about.

We both yelled at once about having seen the parking space first. After a few minutes of not being able to slow down our yelling, he raised his hands and grabbed each of us by the shirt front.

“Now! Listen to me! Enough of this!”

He dropped his hands and reached for his cuffs. “Turn around, both of you, and put your hands behind your back.”

I’m pretty sure my eyes almost bulged out of their sockets. “You’re going to arrest me?”

The other guy let me finish before adding, “It’s all his fault. Arrest him, not me.”

Of course, that started another argument, until the cop grabbed him by the shoulder and spun him around. The cop pulled the other guy’s arms behind him and cuffed him.

I started to run, but he grabbed me and cuffed me. “Not fair!” I yelled, but he took us both by the elbow and headed towards his squad car.

“On what charge?” the other guy asked.

“Disturbing the peace. Now … both of you. Get in.”

He shoved me in first. “Move over and make room for your buddy.”

“Not my buddy! I don’t even know him,” I complained.

“You will soon. You’ll both be in the same holding tank.” He shoved the other guy in, so I slid over to the other side.

I stared straight ahead, and so did the other guy. The cop sat in the front seat and looked at each of us in his rearview mirror. “Not a single word from either one of you,” he ordered. We obeyed.

Fortunately, after they booked us, they did put us in separate holding tanks, one at one end of the hall and the other at the other.

“Where’s my backpack?” I asked the jailer as he locked the gate behind me.

“It’s in safekeeping,” he replied. “You’ll get it when you get out.” I could only hope they did not suspect anything and did not look into it.

“And my moped?”

“It’s been impounded.”

At least it wasn’t sitting out on the street with the key in it.

The other guy and I could see each other, so we glared at each other, but we said nothing.

I had four roommates in this cell, two of them slightly tipsy. They were all at least ten years older than I was. That made me more than slightly nervous.

“Whatcha in for, kid?” asked the one who appeared to be the oldest, one of the slightly tipsy ones.

“Defending my rights,” I replied.

“Yeah,” he answered. “Tha’ll getcha in trouble ever’ time.”

He pointed to the other tipsy one. “This is Norm. I’m George.”

Tom stuck out his hand when he said his name. Cautiously, I shook it and gave them my name, Carson. Brent shrugged as he introduced himself.

After a few minutes, when it appeared they were not going to bother me, I began to relax. The others didn’t say anything, so that ended our conversation. I sat down in the front corner, feet sprawled out in front of me on the floor.

Down on the other end of the hall, the other guy was yelling about being unjustly arrested and demanding his lawyer.

A couple hours later, the other guy’s lawyer showed up, so they took him out. He had quieted down some by then.

Not long after that, the jailer called my name. “If he gets out, so do you.” He led me out to the front, gave me my backpack and the key to my moped. He handed me a paper that told me when to appear in court.

“Now stay out of trouble.” He shook his head. “Fighting over a parking space?”

He led me to the elevator. “I’ll take you to where they put your moped in the underground garage.”

Recent Discussions