Beta Readers Looking for Beta Readers for The Battle Unseen

Sep 6, 2020
Service
Wanted
What was the original idea behind this book?
Originally written as a book about spiritual warfare, when I had to rewrite the first chapter, the whole book took a turn and went in a completely different tangent. Although there is still a subtle message in the book about the fact that all Christians face a basic level of spiritual warfare, that as believers the enemy is against us and is happy to ruin our life if he can. Most of the time we aren't aware of it as it usually comes across as unfortunate circumstances or normal pitfalls of life. But do we turn to God or try to just deal with it ourselves and when life doesn't turn out the way we thought it would, do we get angry or do we trust that even though nothing makes sense and it doesn't look good now, that he is working in the background to take those bad things and turn them into something better than we had before. Learning to trust God, may be the hardest thing we ever learn to do especially if we keep bucking against what he trying to teach us. So the title of the book may chance if I can find something that fits better with what it is now.

Because no one has actually read this book other than me yet and I am trying to give a good synopsis without actually giving anything away. It might be very rought and in the future it may change to sound much better.

So what is this book about now?
Simon is a charismatic youth pastor, haunted by the mistakes of his past. When his happy life is thrown into dismay, it turns his entire world upside down and he finds himself alone and without help. As circumstances spiral out of control, he calls out to God only to hear...nothing.

In his attempt to meet new people and find direction, he has a surprise encounter where he meets Alice, a young blind woman whose buoyant, outgoing character hides a past filled with tragedy and sorrow. Her presence in his life sparks hope in Simon.

As an unusual friendship begins and they grow closer together, inevitably feelings develop on both side. However after a series of unfortunate events and the truth of a painful secret is revealed, it leads to more pain and heartache for them both. Through a lack of confidence and communication, Simon wonders if it is all too good to be true.

As they journey down this road together, can they overcome the mistakes of their pasts, find freedom and break the chains that hold them captive and learn to trust God when nothing makes sense?

--------------------------------------------

I'm not really sure how the whole beta reader thing works as I've never done this before, so any help would be appreciated. I've only just finished the 3rd draft and tried to remove all the basic spelling/grammar problems, but it may still be a little rough in spots. The book is drama/romance, based in the real world, but a fictional place. I feel that I should mention that it does touch on some difficult subjects such as alcoholism and sexual abuse, so if that turns you off wanting to read it, I understand. At the moment it is about 127,000 word count, but depending on feedback I will probably cut that down, hopefully closer to 100,000. If you want to know any more information, please don't hesitate to ask me questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: HK1

Zee

Mar 1, 2019
I like the concept, and imagine you have a great story here, but to be honest the thought of doing critical justice to a work of that size is a bit intimidating. If you’re already planning to cut it down so significantly, why don’t you do so and then see about finding beta readers?

I think 60-70k is about the max I’ve beta read in the past.

Zee

Mar 1, 2019
However, if you end up having difficulty finding beta readers because of the length, it’s something to consider.

Personally, it’s hard for me to imagine having that much potentially extraneous story in a “beta-reader-ready” draft. But every writer’s process is different. You do what works for you.

May 28, 2019
At the moment it is about 127,000 word count, but depending on feedback I will probably cut that down, hopefully closer to 100,000

i can understand why you would like to have BR feedback before cutting it down but Zee does have a point. If you have not already done so - I would suggest resting it for a few weeks and then going back to it - that may help you see where you could cut it down.

Even for SF/Fantasy anything over a 100K for a first time author is over the limit as far a trad publishing is concerned. If you are SP then it is not such an issue other than a cost one.

Sep 6, 2020
Well if the feedback I receive indicates that the story is good as it is, then I may not cut anything out. At this point I think i will probably self-publish, but I know nothing about that side of things, so for now I just want to find out what people think about the story since no one has read it yet. Who knows, maybe I'll have to rewrite half of it, but without feedback I can't figure that out. Just because I think it's good, doesn't mean it is.

May 28, 2019
Hope you find some beta readers. Unfortunately I have 3 projects on the go at the moment, that I need to get done over the summer while things are quiet workwise or I would offer to read.

Recent Discussions