Christian Writing Line Edit quotes - Am I being unrealistic?

May 28, 2019
I would not normally share this kind of info but I am serious shock and just want to check out if I am being very naïve or not.

I have just got a quote for a line edit for a 80K MS - £2,490.00 (and not it is not from Claire Tucker) i.e $3024

That seems very pricy to me. I have used another company, and they only charged £1,200 for a 90K line edit. It was good one too. ($14572)

The first sounds like an industrial standard edit but I don't know enough about the publishing industry to know for definite.

I need a lie down and stiff drink.😦

Last edited by a moderator:

Johne

Staff member
Sep 27, 2005
I paid for a thorough edit of THE BLUE GOLEM from a Story Grid Certified Editor in early 2020, and it was $1750. For that I received:
  • One-Hour Phone Consultation (Review of Findings)
  • In-Depth First 5-Scene Story Grid Spreadsheet
  • Global Story Analysis for your 112,000-word manuscript (draft must be within 1,000 words of stated length)
  • Next Steps Recommendation Letter
  • Annotated Manuscript
  • Masterworks of the Genre
This was a steep price for me at the time, but completely changed this novel and vastly improved its quality. I still refer to some of these insights as I'm editing what I have to send to Beta readers.

Claire Tucker

Copyeditor and Proofreader
Jan 26, 2018
Shamrock, I'm sorry to say that according to the Editorial Freelancers' Association, standard rates for a line edit are $0.04–$0.049 per word. This means that you can expect to pay $3,200 for a line edit of an 80k-word manuscript.

It is definitely worth shopping around, as some editors do charge less for a service while others (especially established editors with hundreds of books in their portfolios) charge more. But to get an idea of what you can expect to pay, here are a few places you can go:

Editorial Rates from the Editorial Freelancers' Association. This is my favorite resource as it lists per-word and per-page fees.

Suggested Minimum Rates from the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading. Pro: it lists the fees in GBP. Con: it only lists suggested per-hour rates.

Average Rates for Editorial Freelancing from the Christian Editor Connection. This isn't as extensive as the Editorial Freelancers' Association's list, but it is also useful. This is also a great place to look for Christian editors who have been tested on their skills.

Again, shop around as you might find someone who charges less for the line edit.

May 28, 2019
Thanks. @Claire Tucker.

I put the thread up when I got quote from a particular editor.simply because I was shocked at the price.

I do have a company I use whose rates are far more reasonable . They' may not do.such an extensive line edit as others but it is not for publication at this stage. It is for querying.
Thanks. I have made a note of the links you suggested.

Recent Discussions